Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My dream


Did I told you that I am full Japanese? Maybe you could know that from taking a look at my profile.

I am proud about being a Japanese. There are many traditional cultures and customs that are peculiar in Japan, and I really love all of them. I am so happy to be born as one of the people who have such a wonderful way of life.

On the first several years from the time I came to the Saipan, I really had a hard time to communicate with other people. I was really worried if I would be able to learn and understand the English without forgetting the Japanese. But there was nothing to worry about. I learned lots of English vocabularies, and my Japanese skill also improved.

Since when I was younger than now, I wanted to have a job that can use my skills as a bilingual person. First, I wanted to be an interpreter. I wanted to help people who are having the hard time communicating to the people with the foreign languages.

But for now, I have a dream to be a translator of the books.

I like to read the Harry Potter series. I've already read most of them by Japanese, and some in English. But the estimation of the Japanese version is not that good because of the translation. The translator is already mid-aged, so the words by the characters are kind of old-styled and sounds little weird. But in the first place, she is not really a translator in fact; her essential job is a interpreter. So I think it is nice if I re-translate the book and let many more Japanese people to be more interested and have more fun in reading the stories.

I want to let the people who speak Japanese to read the wonderful English stories, and I also want the people who speak English to read the interesting Japanese stories. I want to be a bridge that crosses over the people with different languages.

I am actually doing the translation of the book right now. It is Japanese book that is written by my favorite novelist, named Eto Mori. She had written many books for the teenagers to read in many genre. I am planning to let somebody read it when I'm done with my translation.

I will do my best to make my dream come true.


(The image above is the Japanese version of "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince".)

5 comments:

SML =) fly high =) said...

Wow, I didn't know you want to be a translator for the books.
Well, Fumi,teach me Japanese someday....
And when I see you, you are hard worker, too.

El said...

wow Fumi, i like this post, shows you have a lot of pride, keep it up.

DK said...

I like your experience, because when I came to Saipan, I was also hard to communicate with other. I think your goal is really nice! I hope you to become a translator..

jove said...

Your very fortunate to be able to speak your language and understand it as well. I'm not familiar with speaking tagalog, and I'm full Filipina. So you are very talented to be able to speak, write, and read Japanese, and i know how it can be a challenge. I know you are working hard in learning English more. I hope you are able to accomplish your dream in translating books.


p.s: you can just put the word born, don't add the ed. Born in past tense already.
No offense or anything, but your writing is good.

Lira said...

me too, i had hard time to understand~
and traslator~hum... it's hardz..z
keep it up~